Dedicated to fashionable librarians and other stuff

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Forming Voltron of Neuroses

I’m pretty sure I have MS, Lemierre’s Syndrome or the Ebola virus. I have been experiencing very strange equilibrium/balance issues, tingling and numbness in my arms and legs, memory problems and bladder issues. All of these combined equal one of those above. I flipped out yesterday, but today I’m more calm. It’s a serious professional hazard having access to the Merck Manual, PDR, Mayo Clinic Manual, MedLine and Cinahl. I’ve self-diagnosed all three of these life threatening ones. Luckily, I’ll be visiting my pink-suede-clad Frau Doktor on Tuesday.

I told my parents last night at dinner that I have MS. They are now sufficiently worried, too, but my mother also gave me the riot act for the self diagnosis and wrote it off as a passing oddity. My father also told me not to worry, but reminded me that he’s also a pessimist, so he understood my fear and conviction. We’re more in sync on that end.

I wonder if my friends will still accept me if I have MS or some other deadly or debilitating disease. My guess is some will write me off once I can’t keep pace, or they will accept me as one of their token “special” friends, like having a tranny or paraplegic as part of the “circle.” Time will only tell.

Speaking of deadly and/or debilitating diseases, there was a table up yesterday at our student union with a poster hanging that said, “College Students Against Cancer.” It was a fundraiser. I’m always perplexed by these statements. As if there is a “College Students For Cancer” group or “College Students For Child Abuse.” What is that? It’s just as bad as the political platforms where candidates say they’re “pro education!” What the fuck.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm pro pink suede pant, but because no one should be caught wearing said pants twice by the same audience, I also think there should be a built-in self destruct feature installed on a pant like that, which would encourage more judicious donning. After 5 wearings those mothers should just go up in a grand ball of fire. So, you can be pro and con the very same thing depending on the circumstances, which is why we need clear statements on posters in the student union. And maybe also because your average college student is a dolt.

Jeez, BF. I wish you wouldn't crack wise about your medical scare until we're totally out of the woods with it.

2/24/2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

M and I are recovering from a strange virus. One of the symptoms is a virulent strain of contagious acne, or conacne. Perhaps you are experiencing the internal form. We also were worn down, stuffy, achy, etc. But it was the pizza face that got us the most down. -N

2/26/2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home