Dedicated to fashionable librarians and other stuff

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Gimme a shot of Typhoid Fever please

I went to the doctor today for a pap smear, right boob exam and a hepatitis shot. No, I don’t have hepatitis, but I have to get a series of vaccinations for my trip to China and Tibet in May.

Strangely, I had to fill out a questionnaire again as if I were a new patient. Some of the questions I find very peculiar because they are circumstantial. For example, they ask if you are sexually active. I don’t know how they define active. Do they mean active as in having it period or active as in several times a week? Then there was a question, “Are you sexually satisfied?” Uh, is this Match.com? Then there are the horrific pregnancy and how many partners have you had questions. I usually leave those blank and then if the nurse asks I just say, “Oh, I must have missed those.” It’s hard to tell a nurse with a saccharine smile and hard-curled hair who’s wearing a 2 x 4-sized gold cross necklace that you’ve had [an] abortion(s) and that you’re not quite sure how many sex partners you’ve had in your lifetime (does this include relationships or just one night stands? See, I need clarification). Either way, she thinks you’re a big fat whore - even if she smiles at you.

Anyway, I was told today that I need several shots for China and that they have to be administered at certain times. I need three series of Hepatitis A & B shots, Typhoid Fever, Influenza Virus #714, MMR, and a Tetanus booster. I was hoping to have the shots spread out over time, but my doctor said it’s best to start with them today, which would be 5!!!!! Frickin’ 5!!!! I never get flu shots, and I’m not big into putting anything other than food, coffee, liquor and sperm in my body. Other foreign substances just don’t agree with me. Despite my subtle suggestion of just administering one shot today, she disagreed and said, “Let’s just get it over with. Besides, you’ll still have a number to go before your trip.” Yuck. So, I got the whole shebang – Hepatitis A & B, Typhoid, Flu, Tetanus and MMR boosters. I’m sure it’s all psychological, but I feel crappy, and I can’t move my arms above my hips. I look like a retard (Mary Catherine Gallagher). I’m even sitting on books as I type this entry. Luckily, I didn’t need a pap and my right boob cyst is still the same size. That was the only plus of the appointment.

I just got my new “W” today. I’ll read it over tonight and slather you all with the latest fashion trends. There is, surprisingly, a new fashion section called “Tot & Teen Fashionistas” – I kid you not! Good grief. They may have gone too far. I do, however, wish my name was Muffie Astor. It’s so Fifth Avenue preppy. I’m sure it would garner quick reservations at chic restaurants. Oh yeah, there are no chic restaurants were I live. How quickly we forget (but I can still live in an imaginary chic world).

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So...are you sexually satisfied??? : )
Who the hell are those weirdos at our local hospital? Can you say "UNPROFESSIONAL!!"

11/16/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is W a magazine? Why don't I know this? Is it because I have no fashion sense, or do I have no fashion sense because I don't know about W? Oh, I thought I should report that the new Bust magazine has something about library fashion in it, not that I've had any time to read it. I just realized that your blog takes priority over my paid magazine subscriptions. Hmmm...

11/21/2006

 
Blogger BibFash said...

Oh boy, other N, you have a lot to learn. Read on...

W magazine, published by Conde Naste and Women's Wear Daily, has a reader base of nearly half a million, 420,000 of which are annual subscribers. 78 percent of the magazine's readers are female and have an average household income of $82,353.

W is a monthly fashion magazine and is considered one of the most fashionable publications. W is filled with ads for high fashion houses and rivals Vogue and Vanity Fair for sophistication and style. It's also one of the only publications to feature high society gatherings, events and weddings. Many draw comparisons between its self-aware elitism and that of The New Yorker. This enormous magazine–can be difficult to find, especially outside of most major American cities. One can credit this with its narrow haute couture appeal that only fashion industry and fashionistas appreciate.

11/21/2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home