Dedicated to fashionable librarians and other stuff

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Peep show

This past week was chock full of endless back to back teaching, meetings, and other “stuff” that made me mental. As a matter of fact, during work on Thursday, a couple of people asked me if I was stoned because my eyes were completely bloodshot and I was in my overtired nonsensical state of mind. I think I averaged about five hours of sleep for four nights straight, and I don’t function well on such little sleep in my old age. When I was in my 20s, I managed to stay out four nights a week until 5 or 6 in the morning. Those were my “Smart Bar” days. Man, L and I really fucking partied hard. I could never do that now. Back then, I’d get home at 5 or 6, take a quick shower (or just brush my teeth) and run out in my trampy outfit with full-on slut makeup from the night before and go to work or school or wherever. The really trampy days were when I wore the same outfit two days in a row after “slugging it out” with some bar fool, like “low down” in his boric acid apartment (who danced right after we did it. Luckily he wore two rubbers. Freak! He was a really good dancer though). I drank butt loads of coffee and smoked a pack of Kools a day. Now I have mentholated lungs. Yikes. Youth.

Friday night provided a little reprieve from the hectic week when all of the illustrious peeps got together at our local hangout bar. It was nice to see familiar smiling faces - Other N, D, Plum, M, N, M, Fred & Ginger, P, and other regulars and non-regulars. I vowed I was going to stay for just a bit and not get drunk, but that didn’t really happen. It seemed like every minute I turned around there was another pitcher of beer and my glass was full. Unfortunately, I’m not too good at saying no. Needless to say, I was a bit blottoed, and in my usual intoxicated fashion I was in love with everyone. Hopefully, I didn’t offend anyone. I paid for it yesterday with a major headache.

The German and I had a lovely evening last night at L & H’s house (despite beer headache). Full on Greek fare that was uber scrumptious! The other fascinating part of the evening was all the cool footwear that people had on (with the exception of the German, of course). I had my new black punk-rock moon boots, and B had on these super swanky upper-crust British golf/saddle shoes, and his friend, B, had on very suave caramel-colored leather ankle boots with a square tipped toe. I do love a good shoe. I also found out that there is a new “Super Scrabble” game that has just been released, so for N, P and other people digging Scrabble, we must have a tournament (no cheating, P!).

The donut club is dead. Here's the "news flash" that was sent to us all:

"NEWS FLASH
Coffee club to offer coffee and tea, but no sweet rolls on Tuesdays!
Dues reduced to $3.00/month!! After decades of enjoying sweet rolls every Tuesday, a large majority of coffee club members have decided that they don’t need the weekly extra calories and if they require the occasional treat, there is fortuitously now a café in the building. The extra steps to obtain said treat are an added health bonus! Dues are adjusted to reflect this change."


Freaky donut club people.

Time to get back to discarding the mildewed cucumbers in my fridge. Nothing like a good ol’ moldy cucumber to start your day.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You didn't offend me, but some of the things I seem to remember you getting me to say and do...now that's another story. I think I'm to blame. Or maybe we should blame whoever it was that kept scoring pitchers. Or maybe the punk rock moon boots. They were responsible for some of my bad behavior. So, it's your fault after all, but only with the boots as your proxy.

9/25/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And about that donut club memo, that has to be the most bitter and petulant diatribe ever disguised as an announcement that I've ever seen. The only thing that would make the tone more obviously sarcastic would be to add the work "fucking" in front of every other noun.

9/25/2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home