Dedicated to fashionable librarians and other stuff

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Bud Sommerville - First American Curling Inductee

“The World Almanac is probably the most fun of all the reference books. At least every team has to have a collection of them.”
Quote: Barry from team Network – “Trivia Town: A Little Movie about the World’s Biggest Trivia Contest”

This is a line from the just released (not yet distributed) “Trivia Town” movie. A great little local culture flick about the annual Trivia contest held in Stevens Point, WI. Click on the trailer from the link below to get a snapshot of the madness:
http://www.triviatownmovie.com/

I’m STILL (yes, still) in the process of putting my little “what have you been doing for the last seven years?” file together in hopes of the ultimate “stamp of approval” job-security-for-life-unless-you-murder/rape-someone. It’s a super hassle, and I struggle with avoiding the “scrap booking” file syndrome, while also trying to incorporate my own little “librarian documentation style.” I find academic documentation to be aesthetically as boring as early 1970s cardboard. It has no zip, but it’s a culture that does not appreciate “eye zip” because it’s then considered to not “look” serious or academic. It’s troubling. The business world is leaps and bounds ahead of us in terms of presentation and documentation style looks, but I fear that the staid academic style will be with us for years to come.

I was tortured - yet again - by the “Facts of Life” today by this little number that my friend, PSM, sent to me:

Facts of Life Torture Site It is never ending agony.

Well, the countdown starts tonight: I have 129 hours before “big file” is due, and I still have lots to work on. Wish me luck and please send me good vibes and comments! I promise many parties (big and small) when this is all over.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually know some Olympic curlers...ask me about it sometime. Many of them hail from Superior, beer capital of WI.

Happy road to tenure, BF.
Shatshat

11/06/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can do it, BibFash! I have complete confidence in your abilities to turn off your natural predisposition toward aesthetics and produce something as boring as cardboard... well, with a little flair. Can you present in a binder covered in paisley? Is paisley even in? Yeah.. I'm hopeless.

11/06/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That trailer for the Trivia movie is sound only for me. Blar. I hate to bother the nice folks in IT just so my computer will play time-wasting movie trailers. What I should say is that I hate to bother the nice folks in IT more than once a week so my computer will perform more time-wasting functions in general.

11/06/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I just say that we love you unmitigatedly? Paisley or no????

11/06/2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home