Dedicated to fashionable librarians and other stuff

Sunday, February 04, 2007

It's raining men

My house is pretty flush with testosterone right now. Two men and a dog. This morning’s breakfast conversation was a trip down old hippy memory lane – psychedelic mushrooms, skinny dipping, tuck pointing in the nude (this seems dangerous to me), and discussion about some cactus hallucinogenic. While things have been fairly routine in the last week (and two days), there is simply too much farting and old men talk for my sophisticated taste (there was even a discussion about “mall walking” as a form of exercise when it’s cold, and talk about purchasing those geriatric old Jewish man blublocker sunglasses – as seen on TV). God help me.

Later today, a couple more guys stopped over today to visit T for some pre-game TV watching. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I’m actually happy to get out of here to go to a super bowl game (I loathe football). I feel a bit trapped in my own house lately. At least there’s potential for the super bowl game to have something interesting commercial or half-time wise – like “nipplegate.”

I read that Lil’ Jon will be celebrating the super bowl at the Playboy mansion with his entourage of flesh and flash. What’s up with that dude’s teeth? I can’t figure it out. He looks like he’s completely kicked back on some serious weed. Totally doped out. One freaky mother fucker. I’d love to hear him in concert though – that would be trippy.

Last night was ArtsBash. This event is Central Wisconsin's version of P Diddy's "white party" in the Hamptons, sans the hip-hop stars, paparazzi and celebs (actually the "white party" is a rip-off of Capote's Black & White parties he used to host in the Hamptons). It was a good time, but slightly more disappointing this year than previous years. Attendance seemed low, and the performances, frankly, were lame. As a matter of fact, I didn’t realize they were over until R & M told me. Kinda strange. At least I had cool straight ironed hair, thanks to R. She did a most awesome job. And P looked tres fab in her dress made of colored bias tape. Aside from the usual basement band gang, it was also good to hang out with the “dance” crew and others I haven’t seen in ages. Too many fun people – too little time.

CONTEST!
So, here’s a little contest for my blog posse readers (inspired by Shatshat). Please submit your answer in the comment section. The winner will be announced next week and will receive a lovely prize for participating. Okay, here’s the question (concentrate):

What was the most heinous song ever recorded?


CONTEST RULES
1) One entry per person
2) Winner(s) will be announced 2/11/07
3) Most heinous song will be determined by:
  • rubric outlining specific performance levels for heinous songery (thanks PSM)
  • listening to all heinous songs blindfolded while holding an ice pick to see which one makes me feel like poking out my ear drums (thanks M)
  • another method yet to be determined.

4) Beautiful parting prize will be delivered to winner.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're back!! Yea!! We missed you! You let us know what's happening in the world...and make this tired little town seem more interesting than it really is...you Mary Tyler Moore, you! Maybe you'll even inspire me to start up my own blog soon.

Anyway, I revise my earlier opinion...anything written by Phil Collins sucks. Also that Pina Colada song (is there anyone who can stomach that line about "his lady"?) And then there's Capt. and Tenille. I thought that surely "Muskrat Love" was the most heinous, but I was exposed to the vomit-inducing "The Way I Want to Touch You" whilst shoppping for tampons (appropos) in Shopko. I felt assaulted. And not by the pearly pink tampons, either.
More later, Shatty S

2/04/2007

 
Blogger BibFash said...

Okay, I see I already have to establish contest rules. ONE ENTRY ONLY for most heinous song - or you will be disqualified.

I used to LOVE the Pina Colada song! Here are a few lines from that tasty treat:

"If you like Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain.
If you're not into yoga, if you have half-a-brain.
If you like making love at midnight, in the dunes of the cape.
I'm the lady you've looked for, write to me, and escape."

2/04/2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This list begins and ends with "Owner of a Lonely Heart" by Yes. -N

2/05/2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, how I disagree N. I think it has to be "We Built This City on Rock and Roll" by Jefferson Starship. The song is appalling in its own right, but it has the added insult of being able to drive all other songs out of your head. This is also M's (of M&N) "final solution" song for just that reason (although I think their friend P might have first pointed out the song's ability to be used as a weapon).

When can I collect my prize?

Plum

2/05/2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only contender worthy of a serious challenge to Starship's "We built this shitty" is "Mr. Roboto" by Styx. Although this contest is about one single song, in the cosmic scheme of things, Styx is the bigger stinker since "Kilroy Was Here" is a freakin' concept album. It's hard to believe in a benevolent higher power when so many are allowed to suffer for so long.
-CarnivalArsonist

2/06/2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Mr. Roboto," while on the one hand is admittedly awful, it also is catchy in a way that allows you to participate in its awfulness -- it has value as kitsch. It is funny and fun. "We built this Shitty" (I love this!) isn't fun and it isn't funny. It is just awful, particularly in light of the history of the band itself as a once seminal 60's band, Jefferson Airplane, whose contribution in the 80's as Jefferson STARSHIP was one horror after another (beginning with the name change that revealed their anxiety and avarice).

Plum

2/06/2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Shitty" is failing to drive "Owner of a Loney Heart" out of my head, so I think they are tied for sheer horribility. Nevertheless, out of respect for my dear, departed friend P, I will give it to "Shitty" as it is a terrible, terrible song. -N

2/06/2007

 
Blogger BibFash said...

As owner of this blog and its enterprise, I cannot enter this contest since employees, officers, directors, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising, promotion, and fulfillment agencies, their immediate family members and persons living in their same household, are not eligible to participate. However, I'm going to chime in my non-vote for most heinous song - "True" by Spandau Ballet. I hate rock ballads, and that one sucks wad.

Strangely, I TOTALLY love "All this love" by DeBarge. COMPLETELY love that song!! It reminds me of the early 80s, sitting by the esplanade on the Charles River in Boston, and dreaming about Nestor (the hairdresser I had a crush on). Good times.

2/06/2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what to say. I'm in agreement with everything I've read here. BUT, I cannot stand and have never been able to stand Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire."

I don't know why this song exists or why I was forced to listen to it so many times. And now that I think about it, this trauma is still too young and raw to talk about.

2/06/2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Id drive a million miles
To be with you tonight
So if youre feeling low
Turn up your radio
The words we use are strong
They make reality
But now the musics on
Oh baby dance with me

Rip it up - move down
Rip it up - move it down to the ground
Rip it up - cool down
Rip it up - and get the feeling not the word

Chorus:
Oh everybody have fun tonight
Everybody have fun tonight
Everybody wang chung tonight
Everybody have fun tonight
Everybody wang chung tonight
Everybody have fun

Deep in the world tonight
Our hearts beat safe and sound
Ill hold you so close
Just let yourself go down

Rip it up - move down
Rip it up - move it down to the ground
Rip it up - cool down
Rip it up - get the feeling not the word

Repeat chorus

On the edge of oblivion
All the world is babylon
And all the love and everyone
A ship of fools sailing on

Across the nation, around the world
Everybody have fun tonight
A celebration so spread the word

Repeat chorus

Regrets,

Jim Beam

2/09/2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, I know I posted an entry already. But I do have to say that the worst dreck of all time is anything sung by Justin Timberlake, particularly that piece of shit he performed on the Grammys tonight. Did you hear him call himself "sexy" recently, too? If you have to refer to yourself that way, well...enough said.
Am I getting old? I can't get into much that's written today. Take me back to 80s and new age now. Hell, I'll take grunge rock with the attendant flannel. Just give me something that doesn't intone its lameness ad infinitum.
Ok, I'm done now. Who's the winner?? Wonder what song Bunny over in Old Main would pick? I bet she loves, "Do it to me one more time," another C and Tenille fave. Yuck.
Shatty Shat

2/11/2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home