Dedicated to fashionable librarians and other stuff

Sunday, November 13, 2005

I’m a Google Stalker

My writing group revealed something about me today: I’m a Google Stalker. I wonder if I can get arrested for this? I do have a tendency to Google, well, practically everything. I suppose it’s an obsession – kind of like that hand held electronic football game I got when I was 10 (I don’t even like football, but I like pushing buttons). I don’t need that much information - just some tidbits and I’m off. Here’s an example of my “Googlation” (I just made this word up. It’s a combo of Google and fixation):

My friend N was telling me a little bit about her mom one night. Her mom sounded pretty interesting. That’s where the Googlation started. From the few clues I had, I was able to cobble together enough facts to find her mom on Google and put a profile together. I think I made the mistake of telling N yesterday at a fabulous open house party we attended (with the best damn Italian salamis – no, not that kind – known in North America), and she was probably freaked. I mean, who wouldn’t be, especially when you’re Google stalking someone’s mom? I wonder if other librarians suffer from Googlation?

Here are two of my new favorite reference tools of the week:

Street terms for drugs and the drug trade. Published by the Office of National Drug Control Policy:
http://www.whitehousedrugpolicy.gov/streetterms/Default.asp (authoritative source).

Examples:
Interplanetary mission – Travel from one crackhouse to another to search for crack
Clocker – entry level crack dealer who sells 24 hours a day
Chocolate ecstasy - Crack made brown by adding chocolate milk during production

Urban dictionary. Published by anyone
http://www.urbandictionary.com/
(not an authoritative source).

Example:
a blonder
Someone who enjoys the aroma of his own urine after the consumption of asparagus.
Dude, you're such a blonder!
Source:
Cletus, Nov 30, 2003

shook one
Phrase invented by east coast rappers Mobb Deep to signify someone who acts hardcore until they actually have to deal with the reality of "the life of diamonds and guns". A coward who is shaken up by the harshness of innner city life.

"He ain't a crook, son. He just a shook one." - Mobb Deep
Source:
Wooten, Jul 10, 2004

I hope you all find this blogalicious!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thought I'd post a test comment

11/14/2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home